April 28, 2013 2 Comments
Hollywood has found a new cashcow; remaking old movies. There’s been a surge of remakes over the last couple of decades and the majority of them have been old scifi movies. Some movies like THE INVASION and I AM LEGEND, are on their third or fourth remake, with all of them having A List actors pushing the box office numbers and hoping for a big payoff.
Or so someone in Hollywood hopes. Check out the stats below. These are the numbers for the scifi remakes since 1997.
1. War of the Worlds (2005): $591.8 million gross vs. $195 million combined budget
2. I Am Legend (2007): $585.4m gross vs. $200m budget
3. Planet of the Apes (2001): $362.2m gross vs. $150m budget
4. Godzilla (1998): $379m gross vs. $190m budget
4. Vanilla Sky (2001): $203.4m gross vs. $102m budget
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008): $230.8m gross vs. $125m budget
7. The Time Machine (2002): $123.7m gross vs. $118m budget
8. Total Recall (2012) (projected): $120m gross vs. $175m budget
9. Solaris (2002): $30m gross vs. $70m budget
10. The Thing (2011): $28.1m gross vs. $65m budget
11. The Invasion (2007): $40.2m gross vs. $95m budget
12. Rollerball (2002): $25.9m gross vs. $100m budget
Now I’ve seen seven of these, with War of the Worlds and Total Recall at the top of my *like* list. I haven’t seen 4, 6, or 9; 10 and 11 I consider horror, and I wasn’t thrilled with the original #12.
Here’s another list of scifi remakes since 1977.
Like I said I really liked War of the Worlds and even though it was a modern take on the story, I felt it stay true to the original. Same with Total Recall. I’ve seen three remakes of I Am Legend, and didn’t really care for any of them. Same for Planet of the Apes, and The Time Machine. I was REALLY disappointed with Godzilla, and have yet to see the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.
In the last few years I’ve seen very few original scifi anything (movie or television) that really grabbed me, and considering the numbers, is it any wonder Hollywood is turning to oldies? BATTLE LOS ANGELES was good, SKYLINE could have been better and BATTLESHIP….I’m not too sure yet.
What about you? What remakes have you seen? Did you like them? If not, what didn’t you like?
The video below is a song called Forever Autumn from the musical War of the Worlds. It’s a beautiful and haunting song.