Darke and the Despicable Appendicitis

There once was a princess named Darke. She lived in a big castle high on a hilltop and could see everything that headed toward her. Then one day she got broad-sided by something that lived inside the castle, something she didn’t see coming.

That’s what it was like, and I’m still surprised how fast it came on.

There I was, tweeting with my friend Renee Miller over the season 3 finale of The Walking Dead. I felt a little ill; a sore wrist I figured was carpel tunnel, a migraine from hell, and a bit of bloating I decided was from stuffing myself at dinner at my mother’s. I took a couple Tylenol’s and went to bed.

Monday, I got up, headache gone and wrist was feeling better, but I still felt bloated. See my Mom is a health nut so her dinners are very high in fibre, something my body isn’t used to, so chalk my upset abdomen to fibre. As the day went on, it got worse. Now I had chills and couldn’t keep warm if I was on fire. I was talking to my aunt and we came to the conclusion that maybe I caught a stomach bug. That I could handle. Deal with a little pain as it works its way through my system. By supper, my pain was worse and I was convinced, since I hadn’t had a bowel movement (a rare event for me), that maybe I was constipated. That was more likely considering the last place I’d eaten, and the pain was the same. I ate supper and some ice cream around 7pm, but that didn’t help, and as the night went on, the pain grew. I drank some mint tea, and that helped a bit, but that’s when the vomiting started. By the time I went to bed at 9pm, I was crawling into bed and every move I made shot a pain right up the center of my abdomen. I told Sithboy to find his alarm clock because I wasn’t going to get up with him. I wanted to sleep in. Husband came to bed around 10 and my pain was still there, worse, I realized that after I had a bowel movement, the pain didn’t go away. I was up a few more times to throw up, and it was a violent heaving too. So now I can add heavy dry heaves to my growing list of things that hurt my abdomen. I drank some water, but that didn’t help, just gave me fluid to vomit. Then a new symptom; hot flashes followed by chills. Either I was too hot or I couldn’t get warm. At 2 am (after getting only 1 ½ hours of sleep), I went to the washroom again and managed to keep some water down. There, I was getting better. I went back to bed, but with every move, it hurt. I started getting this feeling that maybe I should go to the hospital. I’d get up, call an ambulance and go. It was easier than waking my husband. I laid in bed for a good hour, trying to figure out if I should wake him, or wait until morning and go in an ambulance. I don’t know why, but I just didn’t want to wake him up. Finally at 3 am, in a very small whisper, I said to my husband;

“I think I should go to the hospital.”

It took a few minutes for him to reply. He rolled over, looked at the clock and said. “Why didn’t you think of this earlier?”

“Because I thought I was constipated.”

Yawn. “Okay, go get ready.”

“I am ready.”

I walked slowly down the stairs, put my coat on and waited for my husband to get ready. We got to the hospital by 3:30, and there was not a soul in sight. I went through triage quickly and the nurse took me to a room and told me to undress and put on the gown. Yeah, sure, half way into getting it on, I had to throw up again. It was a couple minutes and the doctor came in. He asked a pile of questions, and checked out my abdomen, then said it was probably my appendix. I started to cry, but I’m not sure if it was from the pain or the shock of the situation. I told my husband to go home, there was nothing he could do, except wait around, and considering he had to work in the morning, it was better if he went home and back to bed. I had my cell and I would keep him updated.

The doctor said they had to do tests but had to get me comfortable first. So, into my left arm went the needle to do blood work, and in the right arm, the I.V drip (whom I named Doug) of antibiotics and gravol. After that was done, I got a saline solution and morphine, and the nurse told me to get some sleep. Yeah, right. I’d never had surgery before. This was all new to me.

I tried to sleep but couldn’t and around 5:30 got out my phone and started tweeting. I think it was the morphine. At 7am the O.R surgeon came in and we had a nice conversation about what was going on. He said it was a good bet it was my appendix and that surgery would be later that day. Later that day was 7:45 am. They took me to the O.R. I had been bumped up to the first operation of the day. They made me walk into the O.R. and sit on a very thin bed. They strapped my left arm tight to my body and put my right arm on a board. The Anesthesiologist put a mask over my nose and told me to take in some deep breaths, that they needed to get out all the stale air from my lungs. I breathed deep about five times, and then she told me she was going to give me the anesthetic…

I don’t remember anything after that.

I woke up in the warmest bed I’ve ever been in. I could barely talk, but the blanket around me was so warm and snuggly. It was hooked up to a fan blowing hot air and I wanted to stay there for the rest of my life. I was in the recovery room. It was all over, and if you followed my tweets and Facebook postings, you know the rest. This was the scariest thing I’d ever been through, and I want to thank everyone who tweeted and commented back on Twitter and Facebook, not just for your well wishes, but for your support. I really feel that you being there for me helped me through it. I really do. Hugs to you all!

Oh yeah, Tracy, I want those cookies!


About Darke Conteur
Darke Conteur is a writer at the mercy of her Muse. The author of stories in several genres, she prefers to create within the realms Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy. A pagan at heart, her personal goal it to find her balance within nature; exploring the dark through her stories and the light through her beliefs. When not writing or working with crystals, she enjoys knitting, gardening, cooking and very loud music.

6 Responses to Darke and the Despicable Appendicitis

  1. Silly goose. I can’t believe you sent your husband home. I wanted mine attached to me. LOL.

    Glad it’s over and I’m glad it went well. Still, I want you to take it easy. The surgery is a lot less invasive than when I had mine decades ago, but it’s still abdominal surgery. Let your family wait on you for a while. Promise, okay?

    • When I was in the Emerg for my heart flutter, it was a lot of waiting, and I know he was bored. There really wasn’t a lot for him to do.

      Yes, I’m taking it easy, don’t worry. 🙂 *hugs*

  2. We always bring something to read. There hasn’t been an emergency yet where we didn’t have time to grab a book or Kindle. I think if my house was on fire, I’d still do it.

    I’m glad you came through it so well. I second the “rest’ sentiments. Take care!

  3. Wow, that was scary. I am glad you are feeling better.

    • I know. I always hear that things happen to us for a reason; that we’re to learn from it, so I think one of my characters is going to end up in a hospital. 😀 Loved the pictures from your last trip!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: